Pregnancy Resources

The University of Maine and Cutler Health Center believe it is the right of every individual to have access to the healthcare information and services that will allow one to take responsibility for one's health and to make the healthiest and most rewarding choices possible. The University of Maine and Cutler Health Center do not officially endorse specific agencies that address pregnancy. The information contained on this page has been selected from a variety of consumer health resources and is offered to you with the understanding that it not be interpreted as medical or professional advice. All medical information needs to be carefully reviewed with your healthcare provider.    

Community Resources:

Cutler Health Center 
University of Maine Orono (207) 581.4000
Office Manager (Renee Sibley):  (207) 581-4010 or
Wellness Educator (Brianna Woodworth):  (207) 581-4018 or

Mabel Wadsworth Women's Heath Center
In Maine:  (207) 947-5337
Services include adoption referrals, prenatal care, abortion, sexually transmitted infection diagnosis and treatment.

Penquis Family Planning and Women's Health
262 Harlow Street, Bangor                                                                                                                                                      (207) 973-3650                                                                                                                                       Services include women's well exams, pap smears, STD testing and treatment, birth control methods, pregnancy tests and other services related to women's health.

First Step Pregnancy Resource Center 
336 Mt. Hope Ave, Suite 8, Bangor 
(207) 942-1611
Free pregnancy test, options peer counseling, medical referrals, parenting support for both men and women, abortion recovery program, referrals for adoption services, information on STDs.

Adoption services

MAPS (Maine Adoption Placement Services) 
229 State Street, Bangor 
(207) 941-9500

House of Ruth
(207) 945-5512
Adoption services including list of prospective parents, lifetime counseling and support, and legal referrals.

Community Care 
970 Illinois Avenue, Bangor 
(207 945-4240
Foster parenting services in Maine

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I go for a pregnancy test?
Pregnancy tests are available at all of the community resource locations outlined above.

If I am pregnant, will I be dismissed from the University?
No, you may continue with your studies or take the semester off if you choose.

May I take a leave of absence?
Undergraduate students in good academic standing may take a leave of absence for up to two semesters. This should be discussed with the associate dean of your college the semester before you plan to take a leave. Review the University of Maine's Leave of Absence and other Academic Policies.

What will happen to my financial aid?
The University may be able to arrange for credit or refund of your tuition, and you may become eligible for a different financial aid package.

Office of Student Financial Aid
Wingate Hall
(207) 581-1324

Office of the Bursar
Alumni Hall, Room 100
(207) 581-1521

Are there counselors on campus that I can speak to?
Yes, there are counselors right on campus who can help you. This counseling is free and confidential.

The University of Maine Counseling Center
Location: Cutler Heath Center, entrance located off Gannett Road
Phone: (207) 581-1392
Open Monday through Friday from 8 am - 5 pm

My girlfriend is pregnant but does not attend UMaine. How can I best support her? Who can I talk to about my feelings?

The most important thing is that your girlfriend knows that you support her. Your support is very important to her, so it is crucial that she knows you are there for her.

The Counseling Center is free for students of UMaine. You can go there if you want someone to talk to. Your girlfriend can accompany you to counseling, however, she cannot go in by herself if she does not attend UMaine.

How will I manage after the birth?
There are many facilities and resources that UMaine offers to help students who are parents.

Family Housing:
UMaine offers low-cost family housing for students and their children. University Park Family Housing is located on College Avenue in Old Town and is one mile from the center of campus. They offer one, two, and three-bedroom apartments.

Commuter & Non-Traditional Student Programs maintains a list of additional housing options.

Day Care:
UMaine offers on-campus child care through the UMaine Children's Center.

Commuter & Non-Traditional Student Programs have compiled a list of on-and off-campus licensed or registered child care facilities in Orono, Old Town, Bangor, and Brewer. Please visit the following webpage to learn more,

UMaine Coop Extension Parenting Programs
The Teen and Young Parent Program supports young parents and their children through trained mentors and parenting education home visits. These programs are voluntary and no fee is charged to participants.
(207) 594-1980 or toll free 877-972-5804 (in Maine)
Parents On Campus: This group uses the Students With Children folder on FirstClass to discuss local doctors, play areas, and neighborhoods.

Nontraditional Students Association: 
This organization is the student voice on campus for all non-traditional students, including students who are parents.

Parents' Room:  Two rooms located in Hannibal Hamlin Hall have been made available for the use of parents and children. For moms who need to breastfeed or breast pump between classes, this space provides quiet, comfort, and privacy.  Cutler Health Center as offers private exam room for breasting feeding and pumping.  Contact 207-581-4010 to inquire. 

Academic Planning:
UMaine offers a variety of online and evening classes, but you are highly encouraged to meet with your academic dean to discuss the best academic plan for you. You should not feel that parenting means giving up your dream of a degree.